ALUCA’s refreshed CPD (continuous professional development) program for all ALUCA accredited members has been rolled out as a pilot program from January 1st, 2020.
The purpose of this pilot program is to gather and consolidate valuable feedback and comments from all ALUCA accredited CPLI members during 2020 so that it can be refined and hard launched in 2021 to help members be better prepared around the future anticipated regulatory changes
Devi Uka is the ALUCA Board member who drives the education strategy and has formed a cross industry education working committee to help with this important initiative.
All ALUCA accredited Certified Professional Life Insurance (CPLI) members annually have to undertake ALUCA’s CPD (continuous professional development) program and log their CPD hours to maintain ALUCA CPLI accredited membership. We have a compulsory random audit of 10% of accredited members each year.
The refreshed ALUCA CPD program has been modelled on the 5 categories that FASEA have been mandated to use. These have been adapted by ALUCA’s CEO and Life member Tony O’Leary specific to Life Insurance underwriters, claims and rehabilitation professionals. During the process of the development of this refreshed program we have consulted with key industry bodies and will be consulting with life insurers, reinsurers and education providers during 2020 as well as running a series of roadshows.
We have developed an ALUCA CPD and CPLI PPT and updated ALUCA’s CPD FAQ to help explain this program further. The key items to be aware of are as follows:
- ALUCA CPD points have been simplified to represent hours i.e. 1 hour of eligible CPD activities = 1 ALUCA CPD point
- ALUCA CPD points have moved from 35 to 40 each year
- The annual ALUCA regulatory and ethics mandatory webinar will move to 5 CPD points and will include a multiple-choice assessment.
- There are 5 key CPD categories that accredited members need to achieve the minimum hours designated across the year however during 2020 this is being piloted so we will look to feedback around these. The pilot hours are:
- Technical & specialist = 15 hours,
- Customer focused = 5hrs,
- Regulatory Compliance & Consumer Protection = 5hrs
- Professionalism & Ethics = 5hrs
- General = 10 (depending on the minimums above)
We wrote to all ALUCA accredited CPLI members at the end of last year and provided a CPD log examples of the CPD activities that contribute towards ALUCA CPD hours which are the same activities we have had in place for the last 3 years. The category requirements are just different.
For 2020, ALUCA’s Board have agreed that the 40 CPD hours across the categories are fluid as we want to gain real time feedback about the program during 2020. ALUCA’s Board feel that 40 CPD hours are achievable but are keen to ensure that this task in not an onerous one for accredited ALUCA members. We understand the additional stress members would be feeling with the impacts of COVID19 pandemic and as such will be lenient around hours this year but welcome all feedback.
Thank you in advance to all of ALUCA’s accredited CPLI members for helping to pilot this important program during 2020 and for their ongoing feedback. We look forward to your input and comments.